People in Massachusetts think they’re at the leading edge of politics. That’s not good news for Democrats.
January 17, 2010
By JON KELLER
Wall Street Journal
With characteristic hubris, people in this state like to think they’ve been at the leading edge of American politics since the “shot heard ’round the world” in 1775. And in the past few years, we’ve given the nation a preview of Barack Obama’s presidential campaign with Deval Patrick’s successful 2006 bid for governor; provided a critical boost for Mr. Obama’s candidacy in the form of an endorsement by Edward Kennedy; and enacted a health-care law that is a template for ObamaCare.
But hubris has yielded to shock here at the possibility that the next political trend the Bay State might foreshadow is a voter backlash against the Democratic Party.
After Kennedy’s death in August, few imagined there would be any problem replacing him with another Democrat in the U.S. Senate. It’s been 16 years since Massachusetts elected a Republican to a congressional seat, 31 years since the last Republican senator left office. Gov. Patrick appointed a former Kennedy aide as the interim senator, and Democratic primary voters chose the well-regarded state Attorney General Martha Coakley as their nominee for the special election.
That election, which will be held on Tuesday, was widely seen as a formality. Ms. Coakley coasted through the holiday season while the GOP challenger, little-known state Sen. Scott Brown, scrambled for traction.
The new year, however, brought polls showing the race tightening. This week a Rasmussen Reports poll gave Ms. Coakley a slim 49% to 47% advantage; a Suffolk University survey has Mr. Brown with a narrow lead. Independents are breaking for Mr. Brown by a three-to-one margin, Rasmussen finds. And many people do not realize that independents outnumber Democrats—51% of registered voters in the state are not affiliated with a party, while 37% are registered as Democrats and 11% as Republicans. Complete Story
SEIU flips Obama the Purple Finger of Fate; campaigns for Scott Brown (no, I’m not kidding), Coakley to Mass Voters: “Curt Schilling (Scott Brown supporter) is a Yankees Fan”; That’s equiv to telling voters Obama is a Republican; On What PLANET do you live?!?!; Update: Response from Curt Schilling , MSNBC’s take on Scott Brown? Vote 10 times to keep ‘those bastards out’; Ed? you gonna do a shooting spree next? , SEIU flips Obama the Purple Finger of Fate; campaigns for Scott Brown (no, I’m not kidding), Obama? Come stump for Coakley and you will See… a Boston Tea Party just for Thee; UPDATE: Obama’s Boston Tea Party On, lets ROLL, ,Scott Brown surges to 4 Point Lead; WARNING: Obama Troll Infestation of Joe Kennedy Candidacy can affect outcome
- Cass Sunstein – The Red General
- Drug Industry Threatening to End Support for Obama’s Health Bill
- Classic “I was paid $50.00 To hold this Sign For Coakley, But I’m voting for Scott Brown
- This Should Send a Hell of a Lot of People to Jail
- Greens Flip: Senate Cap-and-Trade Bill ‘Not a Serious Proposal’
- You knew it was going to happen
- Massachusetts: ‘Bottom has fallen out’ of Coakley’s polls; Dems prepare to explain defeat, protect Obama
- Health Bill Can Pass Senate With 51 Votes
- The Most Dangerous Radical Czar Part I
- The Most Dangerous and Radical Czar Part II
- Calling All ‘Ayerabs’
- CBO: Stimulus impact will fade in 6 months
- An absolutely Amazing Site: Want to see where stimulus money is going in your state?
- Meet the New M-60 Machine Gun
- Hey Obama, Who’s Freddy?
- 2009 Jihad Watch Award Winners
- “Hand of Allah” at Work in Iran
- Biggest Government Porkers of 2009 Named by Group
- GTMO Greenwell accuses Hawaii police of “eating children”
- Clinton Camp Memo on Obama’s “Embellished Words”
- the Numbers are Out!
- Employers unexpectedly cut jobs in December
Only 36% of likely Massachusetts voters approve of the healthcare reform bill, Vicki Kennedy calls Ted Kennedy’s seat the “people’s seat” in a campaign commercial, Second amendment victory in the New Hampshire House, Martha Coakley misspells Massachusetts in attack ad
- America Under Attack! Sunstein’s Unconstitutional Idealogy in our Court System?
- Obama’s Council of Governors: Congress Granted Federal power to control us on a Local and State level!
- Only Obama’s Inner Circle may enter the SECRET meetings, now that is Transparency in our face!
- JFK and MLK warned Americans: Is there anyone that can replace these GREAT Patriots?
- North American Union: Protect Biodiversity of WHAT Species?
- NWO Political Media technique: Problem-Reaction-Solution. Are we ASKING them to enslave us?
- America: Broke and Indebted to Foreign Countries that WANT our land and property. What will they do with all the deposed people?
- French declare Carbon Levy Unconstitutional? Hope in US horizon?
- Per UN, 2010: Year of Biodiversity? Is “ALL Human Activity causing Diversity of Life on Earth to be lost’?
- Bilderbergers: Creating a New World Order or completing “Work of the Ages”?
- Obama grants immunity powers to FOREIGN INTERPOL OVER our Constitution!!WTF?
- Terminator Seed 3: Plot to Control Our Food Supply?
- Terminator Seeds 2: Plot to Control our Food Supply?
- Terminator Seed 1: Plot to Control Our Food Supply?
- Leftwing Corruption of America good, Rightwing Values and Principals bad?
Obama Schlepping For Newsweek Magazine??, 2010 Election Reboot, And The Potential Fallout. , Obama’s Other Cheek? Now Tough On Terrorism
- Fannie, Freddie, Fraud
- Did Next Commander-in-Chief Falsify Selective Service Registration? Never Actually Register? Obama’s Draft Registration Raises Serious Questions
- Government says Inefficiency due to Old Computers
- Nancy, if you think we’ll surrender, I have a message for you…
- Nothing About Obama Is On The Le
“I’d cheat to keep these bastards out”, Google – phoney, fake and outrageous! ,There’s the educated class and then there’s “the rest of us”
Regeanite Republican Resistance Brown supporters with home made signs, never seen anything like it, Crumblin’ Croakley Death-Spiral Update, Czech Top-Model: Karolina Kurkova