Iran’s Natanz Nuclear Facility Suffers Growing Pains
Posted February 11th, 2010
The Heritage Foundation
Despite Iranian President Ahmadinejad’s gloating that Iran is a “nuclear state”, Iran reportedly has encountered problems in expanding its uranium enrichment program at an ambitious rate. According to an article in today’s Washington Post, the uranium enrichment facility at Natanz has experienced declining output levels due to possible technical problems with the centrifuges used to process the uranium. So many centrifuges at Natanz have broken down or been sidelined for unknown reasons that less than half of the 8,700 centrifuges were working in November – a little more than 3,900 machines, down from 5,000 last May.
Experts have speculated that the problems at Natanz may be caused by the use of old centrifuges, poor maintenance practices, and a rush to expand the numbers of centrifuges installed without fully testing them. But Iran is known to be installing a new generation of centrifuges and it could be under-reporting the numbers of centrifuges in operation and their output.
It is unclear whether Tehran deliberately reduced the number of centrifuges in operation to mask its true capabilities or it was forced to do so by technical difficulties. But either way, Tehran’s defiant announcement that it is further enriching uranium to 20 percent shows that it is determined to push ahead with its nuclear program despite international opposition. And it is clear that Iran continues to increase its stockpile of enriched uranium which it could use to build a nuclear weapon. Source
- Sarah Palin brings down an0ther one; Palin stalking Progressive Troll Eric Robinson makes a total ass out of himself
- breaking: House Democrat Charlie Wilson died today
- Get ready for Progressives’ racism and sexism; Angela McGlowan is running for Congress
- yes another Progressive Scandal; Operatives drain Union Dues to fund Media Attacks on American Voters
- Sarah Palin vs Barack Obama; Real Class vs The Angry Man-Child
- Oh Oh, Feds Warn: Snow Costs Taxpayers $100 Million A Day…
- Less We Ever Forget
- ‘Tenther’ (a hint) movement aims to put power back in states’ hands
- TEN GOP HEALTH IDEAS FOR OBAMA
- OK Candidate releases son’s 1981 Hawaiian Certification of Birth
- Rise in solar activity all but certain to mess with GPS
- Why we should be Worried about 2/11 Iran Threat
- Presidents – Coming and Going
- BOB&TOM TV: “Obama Man” by Greg Morton
- Quote of the Week
- Miss Me Yet?’ Billboard With Photo Of Bush Is Real
- Post-America- A Nation of Appeasers
- Obama anti-terror adviser lashes out at lawmakers
- Bilderbergers: Creating a New World Order or completing “Work of the Ages”?
- 2nd Amendment VIOLATION by Feds In Austin TX!! WTF?? Perry Where the HELL are YOU?
- JFK and MLK warned Americans: Is there anyone that can replace these GREAT Patriots?
- Terminator Seed 1: Plot to Control Our Food Supply?
- Ahmadinejad Says Iran Is Now a ‘Nuclear State’
- The U.S. Government: Willfully Blind to the Jihad
- Obama’s Revisionist History of Terrorism
- Obama’s BIRTH CERTIFICATION Amendment was in last 6 months Before He Announced His Run For Presidency
- Wonder how your Senators rate?
- Can you think of anything scarier than this?
- The Tea Party is Over or so they think
- NOW’s response shows desperation in a losing cause
- A beautiful moment for the day
- NY might be the state to watch this election year
- Green Police ad hits reeeealy close to the nerve
- Crazed weatherman: H/t The Daily Caller
- From SmartGirlNation
- Sarah’s not the only one to use crib notes