Buried toward the bottom of the page is the following:
“The Justice Department and White House have defended the decision to not criminally prosecute Holder, saying it was long-standing practice for administrations from both parties to not prosecute officials held in contempt.”
WTF is that all about? It’s time that We the People demand that this nonsense come to a screaming halt.
House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) says he intends to file a lawsuit in federal court today against Attorney General Eric Holder for failing to turn over documents related to the Fast and Furious gun-tracking operation.
“We are filing charges against Attorney General Eric Holder today #fastandfurious,” tweeted Issa from his own Twitter account on Sunday night.
In June, GOP House overwhelmingly passed resolutions holding the attorney general contempt of Congress for not complying with a congressional subpoena to provide documents on the botched ATF operation which sought to track gun sales to Mexican drug gangs.
The decision to file civil charges comes after the Justice Department announced in June that it would not prosecute Holder after the contempt vote.
One of the House resolutions, however, granted Issa’s Oversight committee authority to pursue a civil action against Holder.
Legal experts believe the case could lead to a long court battle.
The Justice Department and White House have defended the decision to not criminally prosecute Holder, saying it was long-standing practice for administrations from both parties to not prosecute officials held in contempt.
Republicans who have conducted an over year-long investigation into Fast and Furious, though, have questioned the independence of the DOJ.
Holder after the House voted to hold him in criminal contempt, criticized the action as the latest step in a “misguided, and politically motivated, investigation during an election year.”
The Justice Department has turned over 7,600 pages of documents in response to the congressional probe, but Holder has resisted further subpoenas, claiming that additional disclosures would harm ongoing criminal investigations and legal cases.
Holder has testified before Congress that top Justice officials were unaware of the program and moved quickly to stop the operation once they were apprised of its details.
A weapon which was part of the gun-walking operation was found at the murder scene of a U.S. Border Patrol agent, sparking congressional inquiries.
Last month, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who is spearheading the Senate investigation, demanded additional documents from Holder, which he says will clarify when exactly senior DOJ officials were first told about the operation.